Happy New Years everyone! 2020 was certainly an eventful year for Green Day, even if it turned out to be for reasons we didn’t expect.
The bands’ 13th studio album, Father Of All Motherfuckers, kicked things off on February 7th and should have been the focus of the year but all plans were soon derailed when a global pandemic shut down the music industry… and everything else.
Let’s take a look back at the the most viewed stories and top ranked albums and songs from the year 2020.
Top News Stories
- The Network release ‘Ivankkka Is a Nazi’ – The return of Green Day’s side project The Network is highly unlikely to have even happened without the pandemic causing the cancellation of the Hella Mega tour. Fans loved the bands’ new album and in particular this scathing punk track directed at Donald Trump’s daughter, making it the most viewed story in 2020.
- It’s official, ‘Father Of All…’ has bombed – I hated writing this article but it’s clear Father Of All never really resonated with the general public and the fanbase was left disappointed with the bands’ new direction. The album ranks ahead of only the much-maligned trilogy albums ¡Tre! and ¡Dos! along with the Sweet Children EP on our fan charts.
- Green Day’s Hella Mega Tour in serious doubt – It became pretty clear in April when much of the world basically shut down that the Hella Mega tour was unlikely to happen in the summer of 2020 but it wouldn’t be until July that the band finally confirmed the postponement.
- What we know so far about ‘Oh Yeah’ – The title track for Father Of All was released in September 2019 with ‘Fire, Ready, Aim’ following in October. It would then be a long 2.5 months before we heard anything else from the album. In the middle of January the band finally started up promotion of the upcoming album with the release of the ‘Oh Yeah’ single.
- Billie Joe announces ‘No Fun Mondays’ cover project – What started as a weekly release of random covers to keep Billie busy during the California lockdown, eventually blossomed into a full studio album.
- Billie Joe Armstrong – No Fun Mondays (4.8/5)
- The Network – Money Money 2020 Part II (4.6/5)
- The Network – Trans Am EP (4.2/5)
- Green Day – Live At The Whisky EP (4.2/5)
- Green Day – Father Of All Motherfuckers (3.1/5)
- The Network – Threat Level Midnight (4.8/5)
- The Network – Ivankkka Is A Nazi (4.7/5)
- The Network – Fentanyl (4.6/5)
- The Network – Cancer Is The New Black (4.4/5)
- The Network – Degenerate (4.4/5)
Top r/GreenDay posts
- Wake me up when quarantine ends (2.1k upvotes)
- His songs do be like that sometimes (1.9k upvotes)
- I’ve been waiting all week to post this (1.8k upvotes)
- *shuffle laughs in the distance* (1.8k upvotes)
- Ouch. (1.8k upvotes)
There’s much more to come this year as we continue to strive to keep this the best resource for Green Day fans on the web!